JEE Main 2017 – CBSE will conduct Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main 2017 on April 2, 2017 (offline mode); and April 8-April 9, 2017 (online mode). The JEE Main 2017 Paper 2 which is conducted for B. Arch and B. Planning will be held in offline mode only on April 2, 2017. The result of JEE Main 2017 will be announced on April 27, 2017.
JEE Main 2017 application form will be available from December 1, 2016 onwards, while the last date to apply for JEE Main 2017 is January 2. Aspiring candidates can, however, pay the application fee of JEE Main 2017 till January 3, 2017. CBSE has introduced a new eligibility criteria, where the candidates will be required to fill Aadhaar Card number in JEE Main 2017 application form.
JEE Main is the first stage entrance exam for admissions to the prestigious Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). It is also the gateway to all NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. In 2016, over 12 lakh candidates had registered for this most sought-after undergraduate engineering exam. Aspiring candidates must go through the article below to know all the details about JEE Main 2017 including application form, syllabus, exam pattern, admit card, result etc.
What’s new in JEE Main 2017?
- Aspiring candidates will need Aadhaar Card number to fill JEE Main 2017 application form.
- JEE Main 2017 All India Ranks will be calculated without normalized score of class 12th marks now. Till the academic year 2016-17, JEE Main All India Ranks would be calculated with JEE Main scores and normalized marks of Class XII in the ratio 60:40.
- According to an official announcement by MHRD, apart from admissions to IITs, the qualifying marks for admission to NITs, IIITs and GFTIs have also been revised. As per the notification, for candidates to qualify for admissions to NITs/IIITs/GFTIs, they should have secured at least 75% marks in class 12th exam or be in the top 20 percentile in the class 12th exam conducted by the respective boards. For SC/ST candidates, the eligibility criteria is 65% marks in class 12th.
- Top 2,20,000 candidates from JEE Main 2017 will be eligible to take JEE Advanced 2017. Till 2015, top 1,50,000 qualifiers of JEE Main were eligible to take JEE Advanced, the second stage of JEE, however, from 2016 onwards, the exam would filter top 2 lakh candidates from JEE Main for appearing in JEE Advanced, the second stage of the entrance exam for admissions to IITs.
JEE Main 2017 new eligibility criteria: Aadhaar Card Must
- Applicants who are in possession of Aadhaar, shall enter Aadhaar number, name, date of birth & gender in online application for JEE Main 2017 for the purpose of his/her identity and authentication thereof.
- Applicants not yet enrolled for Aadhaar, are required to make application for Aadhaar enrolment in case he/she is entitled to obtain Aadhaar as per section 3 of Aadhaar Act. Such applicant may visit any Aadhaar enrolment facilitation centres set up in JEE Main exam cities.
- Aadhaar Card Enrolment Centres – In order to facilitate such applicants who are not having Aadhaar, the CBSE has specially set up facilitation centres in each city of examination for the purpose of Aadhaar enrolment. The applicants can approach such facilitation centres who will not charge any amount from any applicant for Aadhaar enrolment. These applicants who have enrolled for Aadhaar and have not received Aadhaar should enter 28 digit Aadhaar Enrolment ID printed on the Aadhaar enrolment slip at the time of filling online application form for JEE Main 2017.
- Aadhaar Enrolment Registration Number – In case Aadhaar enrolment facility is not available at the facilitation centres, the applicants should submit a request for Aadhaar enrolment. The facilitation centre will issue a registration number to such applicants. This registration number should be entered by the applicants at the time of filling online application form for JEE(Main) 2017.
- Provision for J&K, Meghalaya and Assam applicants – The applicants who have passed or appearing in Class XII examination from the states of J&K, Assam & Meghalaya need to enter the passport number, ration card number, bank account number or any other valid Govt. identity number provided they should select the city of examination in these states only.
- According to CBSE officials, all Indian candidates should possess Aadhaar card issued by UIDAI. The new eligibility criteria of JEE Main 2017 introduced by the exam authority means that applicants will not be able to submit online applications without filling their Aadhar numbers. In case, the applicants do not hold Aadhar numbers then they will be required to get it first, to apply for JEE Main 2017.
- At the time of filling application form of JEE Main 2017, the candidates will have to enter their Aadhaar number, name, date of birth & gender which will be validated with the UIDAI’s data.
- Candidates should have Aadhar Card issued by UIDAI, which must enlist the details like candidates’ name, date of birth & gender and Aadhaar number, in order to fill the JEE Main 2017 application form.
- The applicants must ensure that the details provided in the Aadhaar card need to match with that of their school records.
- In case, the candidates’ details in both, the school records and Aadhaar card do not match, then the candidates will have to get it rectified in either of them.
- Applicants entitled for Aadhaar Card under “Section 3” of Aadhaar Act are required to register for their Aadhaar card. For this, they may visit to Aadhaar Enrollment Centre located in the nearby area.
JEE Main 2017: What does this new Eligibility Criteria mean?
It is must to fill candidates’ Aadhar Card number while filling the JEE Main 2017 Application Form
- If not enrolled under Aadhaar, the aspirants must get Aadhaar number first
- If Aadhaar card carries any mistake or wrong information, it must be rectified before applying for JEE Main 2017
- The information mentioned in JEE Main Application must match the details in Aadhaar card
A brief about JEE Main 2017:
|Exam Name||Joint Entrance Exam (Main)|
|Commonly known as||JEE Main|
|Exam Category||Undergraduate (UG)|
|Conducting authority||Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)|
|Number of JEE Main takers||12-13 lakh|
|Selection process||Admission through JoSAA counselling on the basis of candidates’ All India Ranks|
|Mode of exam||Offline, Online|
|Release of official notification||November 18, 2016|
JEE Main 2017 Eligibility Criteria
Aadhaar Card Number Required: From admission year 2017-18, CBSE has added a new eligibility criteria wherein the aspiring candidates will have to possess Aadhaar card number to fill the application.
Age criteria: Aspirants of JEE Main 2017 should have been born on or after October 1, 1992 (or 25 years of age) can apply. For candidate belonging to SC/ST and Persons with Disabilities (PwD) categories, the age limit is relaxed by 5 years. Candidates of these categories should have been born on or after October 1, 1987 (or 30 years or age).
Educational qualification: A student desirous of taking JEE Main 2017 should have passed class 12th or any equivalent qualifying test in 2015 or 2016 will be considered eligible. Students appearing in class 12th or any equivalent qualifying test in the year 2017 can also apply.
Important: For date of birth/age proof, only secondary education board/university certificate will be considered.
Number of subjects in qualifying exam: Students who aspire to take JEE main 2017 need to have passed 12th class/qualifying test should have taken atleast 5 subjects. With only 4 subjects, the candidates will not be considered eligible to appear in JEE main 2017.
Number of attempts: Aspirants can avail a maximum of 3 attempts for JEE Main.
JEE Main 2017 Application Form
- The application form of JEE Main 2017 will be available from December 1, 2016 onwards, while the last date to fill the application form of JEE Main 2017 is January 2, 2017. JEE Main 2017 application fee can be paid till January 3, 2017.
- JEE Main 2017 application form will be available in online mode only.
- Candidates are required to register themselves in order to apply for JEE main 2017.
After this, they must follow the step-wise procedure mentioned below:
Step 1: Download JEE Main 2017 information bulletin and prudently go through it. You must do this to ensure that you are eligible for appearing in the national level engineering entrance exam.
Step 2: Keep all the required documents and details including scanned images of a candidate’s photograph, signature and left hand thumb impression ready before applying for JEE Main 2017.
Step 3: Start filling JEE Main 2017 application form. (Note: For filling the application form of JEE Main 2017, the aspirants first need to register themselves by creating a password. The password must be between 8 and 13 characters with the inclusion of a capital letter, a small case letter, a special character & a number).
Step 4: Upload all the scanned images and submit your JEE Main 2017 application form.
Step 5: Pay application/examination fee for JEE Main 2017 through debit/credit card or e-challan. E-challan will get generated after the application form submission.
Step 6: Download acknowledgement slip and keep it safe with you for future reference.
JEE Main 2017 application fee (in INR):
|S.No.||Paper (s) Appearing||Pen and Paper Based Exam||Computer Based Examination
(Paper-1 (B. E./B. Tech.) only)
|For exam centres in India|
|1||JEE (Main) Paper-1(B.E./B.Tech.) or
JEE (Main)Paper-2 (B. Arch./ B.
|2||Both JEE (Main) Paper-1
(B.E./B.Tech.) and JEE (Main) Paper-
2 (B.Arch./ B.Planning)
|For exam centres in foreign country|
|1||JEE(Main)Paper-1 (B.E./B.Tech.) or
|2||Both JEE (Main) Paper-1
(B.E./B.Tech.) and JEE (Main) Paper-
2 (B.Arch./ B.Planning)
JEE Main 2017 Important Dates
The important dates of JEE Main 2017 are the dates associated with all the crucial events of the engineering entrance exam. You must carefully follow up on JEE Main 2017 important dates so as to be aware about every event in advance. JEE Main 2017 important dates include dates of notification availability, availability of application form, exam, result announcement, admit card availability, release of rank cards, etc., along with time.
Important Dates- JEE Main 2017
|1||Application begins||December 1, 2016|
|2||Last date for application submission and uploading scanned images||January 2, 2017|
|3||Last date of application fee payment through credit/debit card||January 3, 2017|
|4||Last date of application fee payment through e-challan||January 3, 2017|
|5||Admit card availability for downloading||Second week of March 2017|
|6||Pencil-Paper Based Exam (Paper 1 & 2)||April 2, 2017|
|7||Online Exam||April 8 & 9, 2017|
|8||Display of Answer Key and OMR sheets||Third week of April 2017|
|9||Acceptance of challenge of Answer Keys||Third week of April 2017|
|10||Result – Scores||April 27, 2017|
|11||All India Ranks||Fourth week of June 2017|
|12||Availability of JEE Main 2017 Rank Card||After declaration of AIRs|
JEE Main 2017 Exam Pattern
- JEE Main 2017 will be conducted in two papers – Paper-1 (B. E./B.Tech) and Paper-2 (B. Arch./B. Planning.)
- Aspirants can opt for either Paper-1 (B. E./B. Tech.) or Paper-2 (B. Arch./B. Planning.), or for both the papers as per the programmes they want to take admission in.
|S.No.||JEE Main 2017 Paper||Subjects||Type of Questions||Mode of Exam|
|1||Paper 1 (B.E./B. Tech.)||Physics, Chemistry &
|Objective type questions
Equal weightage given to Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry
|Pen & Paper based
OR Computer based
|2||Paper 2 (B.Arch./
|Mathematics – Part I
Aptitude Test – Part II &
Drawing Test – Part III
Questions to test drawing aptitude
|Only Pen & Paper
Time duration: 3 hours
JEE Main 2017 Paper 1:
JEE Main 2017 paper 1 will have questions from Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics.
JEE Main 2017 paper 1 pattern:
|S.No.||Subject||Number of questions||Marks per question|
Type of questions: Paper 1 will have objective type questions where candidates have to choose 1 correct answer out of the four options.
- 4 marks will be awarded for each correct response
- 1/4th marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer
- No marks will be deducted if a candidate has not marked any answer option
JEE Main 2017 paper 2 will have questions from Mathematics (part 1), Aptitude Test (Part 2) and Drawing Test (Part 3).
Medium of JEE Main 2017 Question Papers:
|1||All Examination Centre Cities||English and Hindi Medium|
|2||Examination Centre Cities in Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli||English, Hindi and Gujarati|
|3||Examination Centre Cities in Maharashtra||English, Hindi, Marathi and Urdu|
JEE Main 2017 Admit Card
JEE Main 2017 admit card will be available for those candidates who have successfully submitted their application form. The admit card of JEE Main 2017 will tentatively be available by the second week of March 2017. JEE Main admit card 2017 can be downloaded by entering application number and password. JEE Main 2017 admit card will carry important information on t like their name, date of birth, paper, gender, city, test center, state code of eligibility, etc. All candidates must carefully cross-check all the information on the admit card and ensure that the information printed is correct.
Note: If any discrepancy is found, the candidates should contact JEE Main Secretariat immediately to get it resolved.
Without a valid admit card of JEE Main 2017, the candidates will not be allowed to enter the exam centre or take the exam.
JEE Main 2017 Participating Institutes
JEE Main 2017 participating institutes are the engineering institutes that offer admissions to the qualifying candidates of JEE Main 2017 in their respective B.Tech/B.E. programmes. For academic year 2016-17, as many as 69 institutes (31 NITs, 20 IIITs and 18 GFTIs) had participated in joint counselling and seat allocation procedure conducted by JoSAA.
Some states like Maharashtra, Punjab, Haryana, Nagaland, Uttarakhand, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha also offer admissions to undergraduate engineering aspirants in their respective engineering colleges on the basis of JEE Main ranks/scores. Apart from these, some reputed private engineering colleges also offer admission into their B.Tech programmes on the basis of JEE Main Ranks/scores.
JEE Main 2017 Syllabus
JEE Main 2017 syllabus gives a complete understanding to aspirants about the topics and chapters from all the related subjects from where the paper will be set. The syllabus helps candidates in preparing for the entrance examination in a better and organized way. Candidates can download or go through the complete syllabus of JEE Main 2017 on this page once it’s released by CBSE, the exam conducting body for JEE Main 2017.
JEE Main 2017 Result
JEE Main 2017 result will be announced on April 27, 2017 by CBSE. Through the result, candidates who have taken the engineering entrance exam, will be able to know their scores in (Paper 1 & 2). With JEE Main 2017 result, CBSE will also release the status of those candidates who qualify for the second stage exam, JEE Advanced 2017 for IIT admissions.
JEE Main 2017 All India Ranks will be announced separately later.
JEE Main 2017 Answer Key
CBSE will release official answer key for JEE Main 2017 paper 1 and paper 2 after the exam gets over. Some leading coaching institutes will also release JEE Main 2017 answer key. The answer key will help the exam takers in cross-checking their responses which they select/opt for during the actual exam. Thus, they can have an idea about the marks they will be getting in JEE Main 2017 result.
JEE Main 2017 Rank List
JEE Main 2017 Rank List is released separately by Joint Admission Board (JAB) wherein the exam takers’ All India Ranks are announced. Till 2016, the All India Ranks of JEE Main were calculated on the basis of examinees JEE Main score (60% weightage) coupled with normalized score of class 12th marks (40% weightage). However, the 40% weightage given to class 12th board marks have been scrapped for the academic year 2017-18.
JEE Main 2017 Cutoff
JEE Main 2017 cutoff will be released by CBSE. Cutoff of JEE Main 2017 is the closing rank or minimum score that the examinees of JEE Main must obtain in order to be eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2017, the second stage of JEE, for admissions to IITs.
In the academic year 2016-17, 100 was the JEE Main cutoff for general category candidates, while for OBC-NCL it was 70. SC candidates had a cutoff of 52, and JEE Main cutoff for ST candidates was 48.
JEE Main 2017 Counselling
JEE Main 2017 counselling for admissions to NITs, IIITs and GFTIs is jointly conducted by JoSAA, Joint Seat Allocation Authority. In 2016, JoSAA had conducted 6 rounds of counselling and seat allotment for admissions to NITs+System. Howver, even after 6 rounds of seat allotment, over 3,100 seats were left vacant at 31 NITs, 20 IIITs and 18 GFTIs. Before they appear in JEE Main 2017 counselling, the candidates need to fill their choices as per the counselling schedule of JEE Main 2017.